Liquid Wood Kit - Golden Oak Oil-based Stain
Liquid Wood Coating
- Looks & feels like wood - This is genuine liquid wood, not a faux finish therefore is looks like wood, feeels like wood because it IS wood
- Stainable and sustainable™ - Contains 65% recycled wood fibers
- Easy to use - Just paint it, stain it and seal it (See below)
- Safe to use - Water based, low VOC and low odar
- Easy clean up - Just use soap and water
- Wood finish anywhere - Now you can put a wood finish over painted, stained, MDF, metal, virtually any hard surface
- Tranform furniture
- Doors including garage doors
- Virtually any hard surface
Retique It® liquid wood is a patented, revolutionary new product which makes virtually any hard surface stainable without having to strip off the old finish. The surface will become like bare wood because Retique It contains real wood. When you apply Retique It to a surface you are actually applying a thin layer of wood which can be finished using any color stain.
Retique It® is water-based, biodegradable, and has virtually no VOC’s, with no offensive smell and less damage to our environment.
Retique It® can be applied using an inexpensive paint brush or paint sprayer by professionals and DIYer’s alike. Cleanup is as simple as using soap and water.
Retique It® allows you to skip the time-consuming step of stripping the old finish. The adhesion and absorption properties are excellent, which allows your stain to absorb like it would on an unfinished wood surface. After applying Retique It, you can use any manufacturer’s stain, paint or sealant to create the look and finish you want.
- Pour 1-part denatured alcohol (or rubbing alcohol) and 1-part water into a spray bottle or bowl. Wipe surface down with mixture.
- If surface is shiny or it has a wax/furniture polish on it, then scuff the entire surface up with sandpaper to give it tooth (This is just to remove any wax and give better adherence for the base coat.)
- Patch any divots or holes with Retique It® Mud.
- Apply one coat of Retique It® Light Wood as your base coat.
- Make your final strokes long and even. (Stay consistent with the direction you want the grain)
- Clean your brush while you give the project 2 hours to dry completely. If you are limited on time, then use a blow dryer (Dry time may take as little as 15 minutes with the use of a blow dryer on high heat)
- Apply a second coat of light wood.
- Clean your brush while you give the project another 2 hours to dry completely (Consider using a blow dryer again)
- Move your hand over the surface, if any bumps or specs are detected, then lightly sand them smooth.
If you ordered a Brushed Finish Kit, then you can skip this step. A graining tool is not included in the Brushed Finish Kit.
The graining tool is used to get a pronounced grain.
NOTE: If you received 2 liquid wood shades in a kit, then the smaller container of liquid wood should be used as the graining coat.
Rustic Kits come with Dark Wood for graining.
Weathered Kits come with Bleached Wood for graining.
- Apply a thin coat of either Dark or Bleached Liquid Wood in small sections at a time about the size of a wood plank. This is so that the Liquid Wood does not have time to dry before you grain it.
- While the liquid wood is still wet, pull your graining tool in long even strokes across the entire piece. Rolling the graining tool up or down will create the grain variation and knots. Do not stop when pulling the graining tool from one end of the surface to the other. Try keeping one long continuous movement.
- Wipe your graining tool off with a damp paper towel between strokes.
- If you don't like the grain, then pull the graining tool over it again. If you still don't like it, then paint more liquid wood over it and start on that stroke again.
- Wash your brush while you allow your project to dry for 2 hours or use a blow dryer to speed up your dry time.
With Retique It® Water-based Gel Stain
- Put on protective gloves (Optional)
- Thoroughly stir your stain.
- Get out your yellow sponge applicator to wipe on your Retique It® water-based gel stain. (Make sure you wet your sponge with clean water and squeeze out just prior to staining as this will prevent streaks)
- If you're staining a very large surface (like a dining room tabletop), then keep a bowl of water on hand to dip and lightly squeeze excess out. Always remember to generously dip your sponge into the stain. Never overwork your stain or allow your sponge to get dry. Using a dry sponge to apply Retique It® waterbased gel stain may cause streaking.
- Wipe on your stain in long even strokes going in the direction of your grain.
- Allow stain to dry. If you want a darker shade apply more layers allowing each layer to fully dry. (Pulling the stain off is optional, not usually necessary)
- Allow the last layer of stain to dry for at least an hour (Using a blow dryer on high heat may shorten your dry time to under 10 minutes for each layer of stain)
Each time you layer another coat of Retique It® Waterbased Gel Stain, the finish will become darker and richer.
You can just stick with one coat, or layer up to 4 coats of the same color stain that comes in your kit. Another option is to layer different colors of Retique It® Gel Stain to give you a completely custom color finish.
Which Size Do You Need?
- Large table top
- Large furniture top
- Small night stand
- Average furniture top
- Large dresser
- Table with 2 chairs
- Tall armoire
- Large peice of furniture
- Small kitchen cabinets
- 2 peices of furniture
- Table with 6 chairs
- Small accent wall
- Large kitchen cabinets
- Floor for a med sized room
- Large accent wall
- Three Car Garage Door